Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Can you read minds?


That is the first question I get when I tell anyone that I'm majoring in Psychology.

And no, I can't.

I can however read people really well, most of the time at least. You can tell by now that this isn't gonna be an interesting post.

Last weekend, for the first time, I've had someone so interested in having me read them. I started by explaining that it isn't always easy, but there are times that it is.

The easy times are when the person I'm analysing is a basic human being, with very basic needs and actions. This does not make him/her any less of a person as someone who is hard to read. It's just that they are able to express themselves truly and confidently, which I am very envious of.

As an example, the person that I read was someone who was competitive and a high achiever, she also like to gossip and talk about other people's downfalls and success. I came to a slight conclusion that what drives her in life is jealousy. This is not necessary a bad thing; most millionaires are motivated by wanting to prove that they are the best. However, it can also take over a person easily and you can lose yourself in the process.

The difficult parts are when I try to analyse people like me; people who put on a mask 80% of the time or people who have very intrinsic motivations. It doesn't mean that these people are incapable of expressing themselves outright, but that they have their own specific set of values and beliefs that drive them. Once comfortable socially, they might open up to you.  

I guess the point of this post is that do whatever you need to motivate yourself, whether it seems negative or positive, be true to yourself, but have a limit. 

In order to be successful in life you have to learn to accept yourself and also those around you. It isn't easy, trust me I'm still struggling with both, but it is attainable. 

I hope.

No comments: